So today I was in the pool, and once the three pesky blokes got out I had the whole blue expanse to my own self!
It was 11 am and I wasn’t late for anything, had nowhere to rush to, and could splash, gyrate, do a seal impression and make like a dolphin with a porpoise.
I even sang along -very loudly- to Dancing Queen by Abba.
So this is where I am with ‘being retired’ now. I’ve been retired since July. It’s now December. I have been a whole term out of school and haven’t been back in once, and shhhh whisper it: I haven’t missed it at all!
I like to make a little ‘to do’ list for the day or week and have various little projects ( like my Bridport Shakespeare Company). Just now I am making hats out of fleece, to a pattern of my own devising. Experimental.
So my aim is to simply have fun and enjoy myself!
Like last week I was laying hedges with the Dorset Wildlife Trust; and then the next week scrub bashing near Eggardon with the Dorset rangers. Which sounds like the Wild West, and kind of is. Haha!
I deserve this after working all my life, from the age of 14 when I went out scrubbing floors so I could have a coat and shoes. Blimey, that sounded hyper drama but in fact is true, but y’know. I just need to have some ME time.
So some lessons I am trying to learn:
- Let it go. let things unfold, let it be organic.
- Take care of yourself- take exercise, keep those endorphins pumping.
- Make plans, get yourself out and about, but allow for flexibility. You don’t HAVE to join lots of groups and events and classes!
- Enjoy your own company, enjoy being with yourself.
- Make things, cook things, knit , sew, read.. ! Gardening!